WHAT: The American Islamic Congress and its Executive Director, Zainab Al-Suwaij, will hold a briefing to discuss the transfer of civil society building to civilians and the development community in Iraq within the context of the impending drawdown of U.S. troops.
The event is in cooperation with the Office of Congressman Trent Franks (R-AZ). The event is open to the public. Policymakers, NGOs and the media are welcome and encouraged to attend.
WHEN: Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011, 2:30 – 4:00pm
WHERE: 1539 Longworth House Office Building, Capitol Hill
WHO: The panel features four esteemed speakers with expertise in civil society building initiatives:
- Rahman Aljebouri, Director, MENA Programs, National Endowment for Democracy
- Benjamin Parry, Senior Program Manager – MENA, American Islamic Congress
- Dr. Judith Yaphe, Distinguished Research Fellow for the Middle East, Institute for National Strategic Studies at National Defense University
- Douglas Ollivant, Senior National Security Studies Fellow at New America Foundation
- John T. Pinna, Office of Government Relations, American Islamic Congress (Moderator)